National Latin@ Network for Healthy Families and Communities: Public Policy Initiative
The Public Policy Initiative is one of the cornerstones of the National Latin@ Network for Healthy Families and Communities – a network of individuals and organizations interested in ending domestic and sexual violence and promoting the health and well-being of Latin@ families and communities. Casa de Esperanza’s Director of Public Policy, located in Washington, DC, oversees the Public Policy Initiative of the National Latin@ Network for Healthy Families and Communities.
Goals of the Public Policy Initiative Include:
- Improve policies that are responsive to the needs and realities of Latina survivors of domestic violence, as well as their children and families;
- Improve access to financial resources for Latin@ community-based organizations in order to develop and enhance more holistic culturally and linguistically specific intervention services and prevention initiatives in Latin@ communities; and
- Improve access more broadly to general prevention and intervention services for Latina and immigrant survivors and their families.
What does the Public Policy Initiative do?
- Identify priority public policy concerns for Latin@ communities in efforts to end domestic violence/sexual assault and support healthy families and communities;
- Bring the voices and lived realities of Latina survivors and Latin@ communities to the table to influence and help shape national policy decisions;
- Influence and help shape national policy decisions through legislative and administrative advocacy and the development of educational policy materials;
- Support increased access to resources and capacity-building for Latin@ community-based organizations (CBOs) to provide more holistic domestic violence and sexual assault prevention and intervention services; and
- Strengthen the capacity of Latin@ organizations and advocates to engage in policy advocacy on domestic violence/sexual assault issues at the local, state, and national level through the development of a network of Latin@ organizations, programs, and advocates, known as the National Latino Network for Healthy Families and Communities.
- Advance the policy agenda through collaboration and strategic partnerships with other national policy organizations, networks and movements, including the National Task Force to Sexual and Domestic Violence, the Domestic Violence Resource Network, the National Hispanic Leadership Agenda, and the Alliance for Immigrant Survivors.
What are the benefits to the members of the Network?
- Share your concerns, experiences, and insights and help shape the development of specific policies and the Network’s overall policy agenda.
- Connect to other organizations working in areas of public policy to share ideas and strengthen efforts to create policy change.
- Participate in training, webinars and conference calls to build capacity in public policy efforts.
- Stay up-to-date with periodic policy alerts about policy developments and ways you can get involved and advocate for legislation that advances these goals.
- Get access to relevant research, resources and tools, as well as training and technical assistance opportunities.
For more information on how you can join the National Latin@ Network for Healthy Families and Communities and participate in these public policy initiatives, please email us at email@example.com