National Latin@ Network for Healthy Families and Communities: Public Policy Initiative
The Public Policy Initiative is one of the cornerstones of the National Latin@ Network for Healthy Families and Communities – a network of individuals and organizations interested in ending domestic violence and promoting the health and well-being of Latin@ communities. Casa de Esperanza’s Director of Public Policy, located in Washington, DC, oversees the Public Policy Initiative of the National Latin@ Network for Healthy Families and Communities.
Goals of the Public Policy Initiative:
- Improve policies that are responsive to the needs and realities of Latina survivors of domestic violence, as well as their children and families;
- Improve access to financial resources for Latin@ community-based organizations in order to develop and enhance culturally and linguistically specific intervention services and prevention initiatives in Latin@ communities; and
- Improve access to general prevention and intervention services for Latina survivors and their families
What does the Public Policy Initiative do?
- Identify priority public policy concerns for Latin@ communities in efforts to end domestic violence and support healthy families and communities;
- Bring the voices and realities of Latina survivors and Latin@ communities to the table to influence and help shape national policy decisions;
- Support opportunities to access resources and increase capacity-building for Latin@ community-based organizations (CBOs) to provide domestic violence prevention and intervention services; and
- Build the capacity of Latin@ CBOs to take the lead on addressing sexual assault/ domestic violence issues at the local, state, and national level, through the development of a network of Latin@ organizations, programs, and advocates, known as the National Latin@ Network for Healthy Families and Communities.
What are the benefits to the members of the Network?
- Share your concerns, experiences, and insights and help shape the development of specific policies and the Network’s overall policy agenda.
- Connect to other organizations working in areas of public policy to share ideas and strengthen efforts to create policy change.
- Participate in training, webinars and conference calls to build capacity in public policy efforts.
- Stay up-to-date with periodic policy alerts about policy developments and ways you can get involved and advocate for legislation that advances these goals.
- Get access to relevant research, resources and tools, as well as training and technical assistance opportunities.
For more information on how you can join the National Latin@ Network for Healthy Families and Communities and participate in these public policy initiatives, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org